After Hours Assistance
Wildlife that Alberta Institute for Wildlife Conservation (AIWC) is not permitted to care for due to Government permitting restrictions:
- Adult deer, adult moose, wolves, adult bears, cougars, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, adult skunks, and coyotes and raccoons of all ages. Please call Calgary Fish and Wildlife at (403) 297-6423.
- Large animals (deer, moose) that have been hit by cars. Please call the Report-A-Poacher line at: 1-800-642-3800.
If you find wildlife in distress while we are closed, please do the following:
- Where possible, contain birds in cardboard boxes and mammals in plastic/metal crates. Ensure the box/crate is large enough for the animal to turn around, that it has adequate air holes for ventilation, and has a lid so the animal cannot escape.
- Keep the animal in a warm, dark, and quiet room overnight. If you are unable to do this, please take the animal to one of the 24-hour vet clinics below.
- Leave us a message at 403-946-2361, we will return to your call in the morning when we are open.
These vet clinics are able to receive wildlife on AIWC’s behalf. There is no fee for dropping off the animal. The vet clinic will keep the animal overnight, and AIWC volunteers will collect the animal(s) in the morning and bring them to our hospital.
15 to 24 hour Vet Clinics:
Regular Operating Hour Vet Clinics (check their website for hours):